Sunday, April 12, 2009

Commentary on "Texas + Education = Failure"

I agree with Myles Kratzer's position in his blog post "Texas + Education = Failure" which states Mr. Kratzer's view on the Texas's education dealing with evolution. He points out quite a few valid statements dealing with education that involves with evolution and god.

When Kratzer states, "I think Texas is walking a thin line by doing this." I couldn't agree more. I feel that the way people respond with education conflicting with religion is ridiculous. Does it really make you that much more blind? This is one of the few of many factors that make not just Texas lag in education, but the US. Mr. Kratzer feels uncomfortable for his son not to be taught evolution, I feel as if he should elaborated on why he feels more comfortable for his son to be taught evolution. What type of education is approvable in Mr. Kratzer's eyes?

I don't agree with Mr. Kratzer when he says "Instead of focusing on personal beliefs, our representatives need to be voting based on the majority beliefs of their constituents." Because how does he know what the majority of the constituents believe? Even though I know where Mr. Kratzer is getting at, I believe the wording is just misleading. I couldn't understand some parts of the article and had to read through a couple of times, but nothing too bad. There is a part that does pull my attention when he writes "How will this non-standardized method of teaching fair compared to that of the nations other students?" which I absolutely agree.

Your idea about how education should be teaching evolution is fairly reasonable. I believe the whole US education system is very flawed compared to other nations. The step that Mr. Kratzer implies to take about teaching evolution, is a step to better our education instead of handicapping it.

No comments:

Post a Comment